Re: FSF continuously harms Free Hardware

From: Matt Ivie
Subject: Re: FSF continuously harms Free Hardware
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 11:47:35 -0800

On Mon, 2022-01-24 at 08:23 +0000, Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I really can't hold my tongue any longer.
>
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2022 23:33:57 -0500
> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
> > RYF deserves its name.  It checks for the freedom that users of the
> > computer can take advantage of, today and in the near future.
> > Having those circuit diagrams will not affect the freedom of
> > customers
> > who buy the hardware.
> >

> In fact, access to schematics, boardviews, datasheets and any other
> documentation is *critical* to software freedom.
>
> Much of the work that goes into porting a single mainboard to
> coreboot
> requires knowledge of the hardware, and you actually need to read the
> schematics to get the code working on specific board configurations.
>
> Let's not also forget the Right to Repair movement, currently lead by
> Louis Rossman, which is *fighting* for the right to such
> documentation,
> because without it, nobody could understand their hardware.

Maybe the RYF certification should have that include an ultimate level
having the schematics and documentation available under a free
license?Lower levels would allow systems that are missing these other
pieces to still carry a certification if they are fully functioning
using Free Software.