Re: FSF continuously harms Free Hardware

From: Paul Sutton
Subject: Re: FSF continuously harms Free Hardware
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 15:50:27 +0000

-- Snip--

All of this leads me to a conclusion:

We should no longer call it the Free Software movement. No, we need a
new term instead that combines both hardware and software. We need
robust ideological leadership that is currently lacking from the FSF,
when taking hardware into account.

Richard, I think you should listen to the people telling you these
things, because they are giving you good advice. They are not your
enemy. People like me are just looking at the movement nowadays and
dismayed because the FSF is largely ignoring the current realities.

You outright reject the term "free hardware" but the free hardware
movement already exists. Some refer to it as OSHW (open source
hardware) but I myself call it the free hardware movement.

There is good reason for people to be disillusioned with your FSF, and
those reasons are expressed quite well by the original post in this
thread. My only advice to you is this:

Stop seeing criticism as a threat. Listen to people, they want to
help! I think even the original poster on this thread probably has that
same desire, otherwise this thread wouldn't exist (the OP would just
disregard the FSF and move on, instead of trying to effect positive
change).

That's my two cents. Take it or leave it.

I agree with Leah on this one, I am not a hardware or software engineer, however I would like to be able to buy hardware that I know respects free software, be able to install say Debian rather than Debian (non-free) so there are no hardware issues. I can download say Trisquel and it just works.

I understand what Leah is suggesting enough to see the value of having specs, circuit diagrams etc. I have an old Oscilloscope here, the manual has full circuit diagram, my Old zx spectrum needed an external tape player and I am sure even that manual had a full circuit diagram.

We need to step back and think of non IT technical users, who may be say brain surgeons, or chemists, they just want the software / hardware to work with their hardware and not have to spend time struggling to get things working as they need proprietary components. If they have all the datasheets available then at least the people with the right training can help repair these devices.

I would much rather save money on usb wifi adapters and put that money to one side to buy a replacement laptop (at some point) that I know will just work. Also, users may want to upgrade the memory, and other hardware so this needs to be easy to do, or for others to do.

Of course right to repair is gaining traction, but how much of that is also due to people being conscious of the environmental impact of thrown away hardware, that can be in a lot of cases easily fixed by swapping out a single component.

People want to know is this phone, desktop laptop freedom (hardware and software) respecting or not before buying.

I get the impression RISC V can / has potential to really change the current landscape around this too.

Paul