Re: Should we take steps to reduce russian access to Free Software?> the

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Should we take steps to reduce russian access to Free Software?> the headache of it all dissolves in forgiveness
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2022 00:13:37 -0500

  > So again i repeat my argument the freedom 2 says: "The freedom to
  > /redistribute/ and make copies __so you can help your neighbour.__"

I used the term "help your neighbor" to describe the purpose of
freedom 2 because "help your neighbor" is a traditional way to refer
to cooperating with your community and with the rest of society.  I
never intended it to mean that your use of freedom 2 was limited to
people that live near you.

Yeara ago I realized that people were getting the wrong idea from that
word, so I started saying it differently.  But it took a long tine to
recognize and replace the old wording in writing.

If you see anything which describes freedom 2 using the word "neighbor",
please try to get it corrected.  If you see this on gnu.org, please
report it to webmasters@gnu.org.

Whether you redistribute a free program to any given user
is your choice.  Freedom 2 says you are free to do so, when you wish.
However, as long as you're distributing the source code, it is always
your choice whether to do it in any specific instance.

(The GNU GPL has a special rule for distributing a compiled form
without source code.  If you do that in certain ways, you will be
required to make the source code available laler.  That is so you
can't deny source code to the community.)