Re: Should we take steps to reduce russian access to Free Software?> the

From: Valentino Giudice
Subject: Re: Should we take steps to reduce russian access to Free Software?> the headache of it all dissolves in forgiveness
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 23:50:45 +0100

> How is that justifying the use of free software in russian military to
> do war crimes worth of projected 1 000 000 civilian death _including
> children_?

Did someone claim it justifies that activity? If not, you are asking a
loaded question.

Also, what is the issue in using free software to do that? Doing that
is an issue IMO (and I say "IMO" because I don't speak for the FSF and
this issue has nothing to do with free software), but it's immoral
regardless of whether one uses free software, proprietary software or
no software. The issue is killing people, not using free software to
do that.

> This is not cooperating with community and society, it's mass murder by
> complacency and sooner we take action on this the sooner the russian gov
> will have issues getting updates for GNU and FSF to contribute to the
> non-fascist side of this war.

Freedom 2 is necessary to help others with the purpose of making
society better, but it absolutely is not and has never been limited to
that: you can choose whom to help (by giving copies of the software to
those people) regardless of their intentions.