Getting the truth into Russia

From: Akira Urushibata
Subject: Getting the truth into Russia
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 08:44:03 +0900 (added by address@hidden)

There is much discussion here on restricting access to free software
source code and packages from Russia as a means to stymie their war
effort.

Here I provide some links on an effort in another direction: getting
the truth about the war into Russia.

Ukraine: Spam website set up to reach millions of Russians
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-60697261

  A Norwegian computer expert has created a website enabling anyone to
  send an email about the war in Ukraine to up to 150 Russian email
  addresses at a time, so that Russian people have a chance to hear
  the truth their government is hiding.

Opinion: Why the West should help Russians learn the truth about
Putin's war in Ukraine
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/03/07/west-must-help-russians-learn-truth-about-war-ukraine-independent-media/

---

I don't totally agree with the use of spam.  One measure I would like
fellow list subscribers to consider is to study media control, and
popular reaction thereto, in totalitarian societies.  Some members
may have relevant information in the form of household legends.

My father was born in Osaka in 1934.  He was in primary school during
the last year of WW2.  He recalls that initially, people supported the
war effort and believed what they were being told in the news.  The
media was under tight government control at that time.  At around
early 1945 that changed.  In the last months of the war the official
news had little credibility.