Re: [Libunwind-devel] Multi-platform unwinding i386 binary on x86_64 bug

From: Arun Sharma
Subject: Re: [Libunwind-devel] Multi-platform unwinding i386 binary on x86_64 bugs and patch.
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 15:24:33 -0700

On 5/2/07, Andrew Cagney <address@hidden> wrote:
Arun,

We have multi-platform, or remote, unwinding working.  For instance,
x86-64 backtracing an i386, or even a 32-bit PowerPC unwinding an
x86-64.  That is cool, way cool, something to celebrate!   We've finally
got this out of the "left as an exercise for the reader" bucket :-)
With this functionality working becomes possible to do cool stuff such
as display backtraces of a process as it alternatively exec's 32-bit and
then 64-bit programs.

Indeed. When you did this, I suppose you wrote your own accessors to  get to  the memory of the  remote process whose stack is being unwound?

Our challenges now are:

- get frysk's existing local fixes to libunwind finally merged

To me Gget_unwind_table.c seems to be doing something different from _UPT*. So I don't see why

libunwind/src/ptrace/_UPT_find_proc_info.c

should be patched. But if your goal is to get something like Gget_unwind_table.c into libunwind, so remote unwinding would work out of the box for many common cases, that would be a separate patchset.

I think David still should be the primary reviewer for that. I'd be happy to review any x86/x86_64 specific bits.

 -Arun