Re: [Libunwind-devel] Multi-platform unwinding i386 binary on x86_64 bug

From: Andrew Cagney
Subject: Re: [Libunwind-devel] Multi-platform unwinding i386 binary on x86_64 bugs and patch.
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 09:19:54 -0400

Arun Sharma wrote:
On 5/2/07, *Andrew Cagney* <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    Arun,

    We have multi-platform, or remote, unwinding working.  For instance,
    x86-64 backtracing an i386, or even a 32-bit PowerPC unwinding an
    x86-64.  That is cool, way cool, something to celebrate!   We've
    finally
    got this out of the "left as an exercise for the reader" bucket :-)
    With this functionality working becomes possible to do cool stuff such
    as display backtraces of a process as it alternatively exec's
    32-bit and
    then 64-bit programs.

Indeed. When you did this, I suppose you wrote your own accessors to get to the memory of the remote process whose stack is being unwound?

Yes, that is what Nurdin noted earlier.

    Our challenges now are:

    - get frysk's existing local fixes to libunwind finally merged

Here, I'm referring to the other patches previously posted but not reviewed. Perhaps we can work on that backlog?

To me Gget_unwind_table.c seems to be doing something different from _UPT*. So I don't see why

libunwind/src/ptrace/_UPT_find_proc_info.c

should be patched. But if your goal is to get something like Gget_unwind_table.c into libunwind, so remote unwinding would work out of the box for many common cases, that would be a separate patchset.

I think David still should be the primary reviewer for that. I'd be happy to review any x86/x86_64 specific bits.

I look forward to this.

Andrew