Re: GSoC 2020: make hangs when making fonts

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: GSoC 2020: make hangs when making fonts
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2020 10:43:50 +0200

Owen,

Le 01/07/2020 à 00:36, Owen Lamb a écrit :
On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 3:04 PM Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr <mailto:jean@abou-samra.fr>> wrote:

    So git clean didn't work? At this point, unfortunately I can't
    help much--my
    almost nothing
    about fonts. Also, I'll be going on vacation pretty soon, so I
    won't have time
    to setup LilyDev, sorry…

No worries. Have a great vacation!
Thanks!

    That said, if CI itself started to fail recently, there must be
    something broken
    in the sources, possibly in relation with a specific environement.
    Could you try
    to compile after a git checkout release/2.18.0-1? If that
    succeeds, you want to
    go through a git bisect to find the culprit.

That's a good idea--I'll try that next.

    PS: I guess
    https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/205is going
    to help in debugging.

This page is all Greek to me at the moment, but I'll look into it. Thanks!

Quick explanation: among other things, this merge request introduces a --ci flag in autogen.sh,
which helps testing just as CI does, with the same compilersettings.

Compiling this branch with --ci yields fine resultsfor me. So, the issue is
very likely related to your environment. CI runs ina docker container that
is either Ubuntu 16 or 18. These ship with olderversions of FontForge than
my Ubuntu 20, as you'll notice in
https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=fontforge&searchon=names&suite=bionic&section=all
(the version there being 20170731 while mine is 20190801).

Paging Jonas: could we perhaps add a Docker file for Ubuntu 20.04?

I hope your problem can be solved by installing a newer FontForge, which can be done from Ubuntu's newest apt repositories. To do that, I guess (guess!) you should add the
following line to /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://cz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal main universe

(view the full list of mirrors at
https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal/amd64/fontforge/download).

Then,

sudo apt update
sudo apt-get -t focal install fontforge

could do the trick, though I'm really unsure with apt usage.

Best regards,
Jean