Re: branching stable/2.22?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: branching stable/2.22?
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 06:42:00 +0200 (CEST)

>> [...] if I delete a PDF file, say, `notation.pdf`, right now it
>> gets *not* rebuilt!
>
> The new documentation build has much more accurate dependency
> tracking, so if you want to rebuild notation.pdf, you can just say
> so:
>
>   make out=www out-www/en/notation.pdf

Aah, I tried without `out=www`.  This incantation is good enough for
me, thanks.  No further action needed.

>> Similarly, if I change a documentation string in an SCM file like
>> `define-markup-commands.scm`, the documentation doesn't get
>> rebuilt, either.
>
> I can look at reintroducing the SCM -> texi dependencies.

Please do so.  Due to the auto-generation process, it is far from
trivial to find out which command has to be called.

>>  I consider this fundamental flaws.
>
> I disagree. These flaws might be a bother for developers, but
> branching stable/2.22 is about not having user-visible regressions
> of lilypond itself, relative to 2.20, which has nothing to do with
> how developers experience working on lilypond.

OK.

>> For me, a freeze can only start if we agree that nothing
>> fundamental has to be changed or added.  IMHO, we are far away from
>> such a state.
>
> Could you enumerate the issues you think are fundamental?

Well, I referred mainly to the build problems.  Since your goal to cut
stable/2.22 is a bit different my arguments are moot.

    Werner