Re: Frescobaldi, improve support for audio export

From: Saul Tobin
Subject: Re: Frescobaldi, improve support for audio export
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 09:52:29 -0700

Would the bundled VLC be redundant to an existing system install of VLC? Would it be usable instead of a system install? Would the bundled VLC get updates?

I normally have VLC installed anyway, but I'd rather not have to keep a separate copy on disk just for Frescobaldi.

On Sun, Oct 20, 2019, 10:33 PM Federico Bruni <address@hidden> wrote:
Il giorno ven 18 ott 2019 alle 23:14, J Martin Rushton via
lilypond-user <address@hidden> ha scritto:
> There is a VLC available through flatpack, but I've not used it (so
> therefore cannot comment), but have seen warnings that it will pull in
> up to 1.2 GiB of other packages including the complete KDE
> implementation.

$ flatpak info org.videolan.VLC | grep 'Installed'
   Installed: 77,7 MB

$ flatpak info org.kde.Platform//5.13 | grep Installed
   Installed: 910,3 MB

The KDE runtime may be used by other Qt applications installed in your
system.

You may want to read this post by the author of Flatpak:
https://blogs.gnome.org/alexl/2017/10/02/on-application-sizes-and-bloat-in-flatpak/

In a nutshell: Flatpak is a bundling system and as such it requires
more disk space, but the benefits (of shipping a self-contained and
independent application) may offset the cost for some people,
especially today (as large disks are smaller and cheaper). The article
explains how ostree helps in reducing the duplication between similar
runtimes.