Re: Frescobaldi, improve support for audio export

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Frescobaldi, improve support for audio export
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2019 18:15:10 +0200

Am 19.10.19 um 18:08 schrieb David Wright:
On Fri 18 Oct 2019 at 23:14:30 (+0100), Lilypond-User wrote:
On 18/10/2019 22:06, Urs Liska wrote:
Am 18. Oktober 2019 22:45:28 MESZ schrieb Karlin High <address@hidden>:
On 10/18/2019 3:17 PM, Guy Stalnaker wrote:
So, it looks like VLC with the right syntax may be able to use
FluidSynth/soundfont to "play" midi and FFMpeg to encode to AAC or other
codecs - or - output WAV file as input to lame

It's a complicated commandline but I've seen (and created) worse LOL
Complicated is not an issue - that's what Frescobaldi can manage. It has to be
reliable and ideally cross-platform

Anyone planning on using VLC on Fedora, RHEL or CentOS needs to check
out the current situation.  For RHEL/CentOS AIUI:

7.7     VLC from the usual sources does not work (in fact crashes some updates).
8.0     VLC is not available.

There is a VLC available through flatpack, but I've not used it (so
therefore cannot comment), but have seen warnings that it will pull in
up to 1.2 GiB of other packages including the complete KDE implementation.
Perhaps much of this is because VL stands for Video-LAN, neither of
which has much to do with MIDI→MP3.

Quite honestly, I'm not sure I see the wisdom of bundling in any
or all of VLC into Frescobaldi. The hiatus in support of MIDI by
Windows versions 2.1.0 up gives an example of the kind of problems
that can ensue.

Nobody whats to *bundle* any tools with Frescobaldi ...

I would have thought that people who convert their MIDI files would
(a) have access to platform-appropriate tools already, (b) perhaps
want to use different soundfonts from those supplied, and (c) want
to use such tools on MIDI files that don't originate from F~ and LP.

... the idea is to provide a direct way to trigger the toolchain from Frescobaldi. For example we have an "Import MusicXML" command although everyone who wants to do it already has musicxml2ly installed as part of LilyPond. Or, to make the point even clearer: we also "bundle" LilyPond with Frescobaldi although people could use the command line for compiling their scores.

Currently this function uses a hard-coded "timidity" invocation, and my plan is to support a selection of external tools and a selection of target audio formats to choose from - when the external tool is available on the system.

Urs

Cheers,
David.