Re: Openlilylib status

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Openlilylib status
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 23:09:24 +0000

On 3/10/21, 3:21 PM, "lilypond-user on behalf of Andrew Bernard"
<lilypond-user-bounces+carl.d.sorensen=gmail.com@gnu.org on behalf of
andrew.bernard@gmail.com> wrote:

    Hello All,

    Some time ago I took over the management of the Openlilylib project from
    Urs Liska, who was forced to cease the work for personal reasons. I
    created a server to host a new website, a Git repository and a Discourse
    forum and Openlilylib specific mailing list. The old git repository
    remains untouched, but it is no longer taking pull requests. I was in
    the process of refactoring the whole git repo to make it easier to use,
    but have not yet completed that work.

    To cut to the point, in a moment of complete stupidity I deleted the
    server this was running on without thinking to take a backup of the OLL
    systems. So the work has currently been put on hold until I make a new
    server and setup all the work again. Sadly, nobody has noticed the loss
    of the website or forum, which did have a few members, so I wonder if
    this is worth pursuing anyway.

Andrew,

I think that what is going on right now is that there are people who use
openlilylib, but don't need the latest updates or the forum or website.

I do believe, however, that there is interest in eventually improving
OpenLilyLib.

If we are to sell OpenLilyLib to the uninitiated, we probably need the website.

If we are to help the uninitiated use OpenLilyLib, we probably need the forum.

Bottom line -- the lack of the website means it's unlikely that the uninitiated
will even interact with OLL.  And the lack of novices using OLL means the need
for the forum is low.  But that is NOT the ideal situation.

I know that there are at least a few power users who LOVE OLL.  It would be a
shame to have OLL disappear from anything but a git repository.  But I
recognize that there are real costs to recreating the forum and the website.
And I'm not prepared to invest the time to recreate it, so I have no business
telling you that you should.

I don't think the lack of "notice" of the loss of the website or forum means
they have no value.  It probably DOES mean they have relatively little value to
the LilyPond/OLL expert.

I hope you'll be able to muster the effort to resurrect these items!

Thanks,

Carl