Re: Openlilylib status

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Openlilylib status
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2021 10:12:18 -0400

Hi Andrew,

> nobody has noticed the loss of the website or forum,
> which did have a few members,
> so I wonder if this is worth pursuing anyway.

+1 to everything Carl wrote.

Here’s a little more personal perspective…

I freely admit that I didn’t notice the loss of the website or forum. There are
two main reasons for that, and I offer that neither suggests the project is not
worth pursuing [by Someone™]:

1. When my life circumstances afford me the opportunity to focus on music
composition, arrangement, and engraving, my projects are sufficiently
mission-critical, my deadlines sufficiently overwhelming, and my skill with the
existing libraries sufficiently good that I don’t upgrade my OLL packages
*unless* there’s a bug that needs fixing or new feature that I must use in the
current piece(s). During a period like that, I wouldn’t likely notice the loss
of the OLL “infrastructure”.

2. During this pandemic (now in its 13th month here), I have had to take on the
home-schooling of my two children in addition to taking on non-music projects
to try to replace the income lost in the collapse of the live performing arts
industry (which was my bread and butter). Which is to say that my life
circumstances *don’t* currently afford me the opportunity to focus on music
(see Point #1), and thus I have *even less* time or reason to notice the loss
of the OLL infrastructure.

That being said, OLL has been — and will, I imagine, continue to be —
absolutely critical to my music career toolchain / workflow, and I hope the
world recovers to the point that I can be composing and arranging and engraving
again. Whenever that is, it would be devastating to discover that OLL had
fallen off the cliff (frozen in its current state).

I know I’m just another “Must have this, but aren’t contributing in any
concrete way” voice… But perhaps hearing enough of us feebly shouting from the
rear will convince you — and hopefully more Someones™ — to keep bearing the
standard and dragging us forward to greater things.

Thanks, and best wishes,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info