How to make jazz-like leadsheets without melody, only chords, and text?

From: stefano franchi
Subject: How to make jazz-like leadsheets without melody, only chords, and text?
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 23:09:04 -0500

I am trying to produce a jazz-style leadsheet for the solo section of a song  to improvise over. The section will have no melody (obviously, but I need to indicate the chords, the beat signs, and will include some text below the bars indicating either the scale degree or the scale to use for the improvisation. This is the (pretty common) format I have in mind, using a standard blues  as an example:
image.png
I know how to enter chords (and how to use a jazzy font), but I can't find out how to enter the beat marks, not the text underneath that spans several bars (my chords also appear under the staff rather than above it, but that's a minor issue). Here is my approach:

\version "2.22.0"
\language "english"
\include "lilyjazz.ily"

global = {  \time 4/4   \key f \major  \tempo 4=100}
chordNames = \chordmode {f1:7 f:7 f:7 f:7}
\score {
         {\global
         \new ChordNames {\chordNames
        }}}

I tried searching the mailing list and the documentation site, to no avail. I may be missing the right search terms, though.

Help is greatly appreciated.

Stefano Franchi

stefano.franchi@gmail.com