Re: next issue with renaissance guitar tablature - lines representing su

From: Christian Masser
Subject: Re: next issue with renaissance guitar tablature - lines representing sustained notes
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2021 15:50:47 +0100

Hi Bart!

You're probably right about the line. If you happen to be able of reading german literature, there would also be "2000 Jahre Europäische Schriften - Eine Einführung in die Notationskunde" (roughly translated to "2000 years of european writing - An introduction to the study of notation") by Karl Schnürl, published at "Verlag Holzhausen" in 2000. There he describes the line as "indicating to let the finger on the string." ("[...], die das Liegenlassen des Greiffingers bezeichnen.") So, while in tablature it's not always clear how long a note really is (as the only point that's clearly defined is where the note begins) at least this gives an indication that those notes should definitely be longer.

(Although before you run and buy the book: to be honest, it's more a compendium about many things. But it was used by my study-of-notation-professor at university to make us familiar with tablature as it covers most things on relatively few pages.)

All the best
Christian