Re: Adjusting length of final line

From: Valentin Petzel
Subject: Re: Adjusting length of final line
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 09:16:21 +0200

Hello Dave,

Maybe use somthing like this:

%========= example =============
\version "2.22.1"

scale     = \relative c' { c d e f g a b c }
halfscale = \relative c' {  c d e f \noBreak \stopStaff\cadenzaOn \hideNotes c
c c c \startStaff\unHideNotes\bar"" \cadenzaOff }

\score {
    \new Staff {
        \scale          \break
        \scale          \break
        \halfscale
    }

    \layout {
        %  If set '##f', the last line is stretched across the full page,
        %     and looks much too sparse
        %  If set '##t', the last line is compressed into a minimal width,
        %     and looks much too compact
        %  How can this line be scaled to occupy about half the page width
        %     and hence have the same spacing as the rest of the piece?
        ragged-last         = ##f

The \cadenzaOn/Off and the \startStaff\unHideNotes\bar"" part are not strictly
necessary, but makes this compatible with single bar excerpts not at the end
of a line, so if this part should be followed by another line. The
\startStaff\unHideNotes\bar"" is responsible for showing stuff again, the
\cadenzaOn/Off is responsible for stopping Timing and thus not making that
extra measure count.

Cheers,
Valentin