Re: Vertical Spacing with Tuplets and Lyrics

From: Lib Lists
Subject: Re: Vertical Spacing with Tuplets and Lyrics
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 10:50:42 +0300

On Wed, 21 Jun 2023 at 00:33, Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:

> Le mardi 20 juin 2023 à 23:44 +0300, Lib Lists a écrit :
>
> I think the problem is caused by Lilypond putting too many systems on the
> page (have no idea why).
>
> The precise positioning of grobs such as tuplet brackets depends on the
> horizontal spacing, which is not known yet during page breaking, so LilyPond
> uses estimates at this stage. For tuplet brackets specifically, no such
> estimates are currently implemented, so their height is not taken into
> account, which is the reason why LilyPond ends up placing more systems on the
> page than is reasonable in this code. This usually isn't a problem since
> scores are usually not made of continuous tuplets (if there are tuplets
> across all the score, you would customarily omit them after writing out the
> first few).

Wow, interesting, and thank you (this is very useful to know)! I was
just reading yesterday about pure-unpure containers in Lilypond,
trying to figure out some possible use cases.

I think I've encountered a similar issue during the years, but I had
no idea what was the reason. I (think I) never asked for help here
thinking it's a bug and ended up instructing Lilypond to put less
systems per page or modifying the layout, staff size, etc. I
personally use a lot of brackets and in general there are many cases
in which the bracket shouldn't be omitted. Is there any technical
advantage in not having estimates for the brackets?

Cheers,
Lib