Re: [Linphone-users] Please include native support for PulseAudio

From: Chris Seekamp
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Please include native support for PulseAudio
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 13:25:59 -0400

Simon:

When you select devices for recording and playback, there should be one
called "pulse". If you do not find this, then you can put the following
in either ~/.asoundrc or /etc/asound.conf:

pcm.pulse {
        type pulse
}
ctl.pulse {
        type pulse
}

This will define the pulse devices to PulseAudio, although I would
suspect on the latest debian they would be there already.  A good way to
test is with gnome-sound-recorder.

There is also the Sound Preferences. You should make sure that the
PulseAudio Sound Server is selected there.  Also make sure that
pulseaudio is running. I have seen situations where after logging in it
wasn't although this was probably on older versions of pulseaudio.
Ubuntu 10.04 is on on a version of pulseaudio 0.9.22 while SLED 11 SP1
RC3 is at pulseaudio 0.9.21.

You can use:

pulseaudio --start

to make sure pulseaudio is running. It may also print out error or
warning messages to let you know if there are some configuration issues.

Also be aware that to use PulseAudio with ALSA you need the
libasound2-plugins package.