Re: [Linphone-users] Unable to call SIP account

From: Jaroslaw Rafa
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Unable to call SIP account
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 22:54:19 +0100

Dnia 21.03.2023 o godz. 17:30:31 Stuart D Gathman pisze:

> 1) There aren't enough IPv4 addresses.  There are twice as many people
>    in the world, not to mention devices.

That's not an issue if someone already *has* an IPv4 address. Don't
understand why you (implicitly) assumed that the target device does not have
an IPv4 address, only IPv6. In fact, if you get an Internet connection from
any ISP, you might not have an IPv6 address, but you certainly do have an
IPv4 one, as otherwise you wouldn't be able to connect to many hosts on the
Internet that are still IPv4-only.

> 2) IPv4 has been obsolete at least 2 decades.

By no way you can call IPv4 obsolete. The fact that a newer addressing
scheme exists doesn't mean IPv4 is obsolete. The majority of the Internet is
still running on IPv4 - and probably will be.

> 3) IPv4 NAT practices in common use prevent connecting directly
>    to the callee because they don't have a stable public IPv4 in
>    general.  (Another reason for SIP services - as a sort of TURN server
>    for people in IPv4 NAT jail as well as bridging to telco and SMS.)

In typical home/small office network scenarios the VoIP endpoint is your
router, that connects you to your ISP. The router has a VoIP gateway built
in and one or more of typical analog phones connected to it. The NAT issue
does not exist in that case, as the router almost always has a public IP
address. This address may change because it may be dynamically assigned by
the provider (but not necessarily - for example I have a static one: it is
assigned by DHCP but I always get the same address), but services like
DynDNS exist to solve this issue.
--
Regards,
   Jaroslaw Rafa