liquidwar-user

RE: [liquidwar-user] Liquid War tenth birthday

From: Kasper Hviid
Subject: RE: [liquidwar-user] Liquid War tenth birthday
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 02:16:12 +0000

It's great to hear that LW6 are going to be made - I had almost given up the hope! LW is the only Open Source game I has kept playing, and it truly deserves a new version!

I would be happy to supply some graphic for LW6. I have "a few" questions about the subject:

1) Should I get my ass moving, or should I wait a bit? The .plan do say year 2008 for the graphic.

2) Will LW6 have a fixed resolution, or will the user be able to change it? I can just make the levels so big that they can be sized down to whatever will be needed, but it would be nice to know anyway.

3) Will the levels be in the same format as in Liquid War 5, with a fullcolor image for eyecandy, and a black and white image to define the wall?

4) You say that one of the sucking parts of LW5 is its ugly retro look. Is there anything specific you want instead? I think about title, text, gui, and other eyecandy.

LICENSE
On your site (ufoot.org/liquidwar/doc/userlevels) you say that the artwork in the official game has to be under the GPL or a similar license. It is good that the artwork has to be under a proper licence - many open source games forgets that. But I'm unsure how a licence designed for source code will legally fit on a piece of graphic. A better choice might be the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 License:

A BIT OF BRAINSTORM
It could be possible to browse the other online players homemade levels, or chat with them. The players could also create a profile, so they knew who they are fighting. It would be nice with a turnament mode, where a series of games are played in a row. Besides that, I hope the simple gameplay of Liquid War 5 will be somewhat intact. I think the games main feature is its simplicity.

By the way - Happy birthsday, everyone! :-)

- Kasper