liquidwar-user

Re: [liquidwar-user] Liquid War tenth birthday

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: Re: [liquidwar-user] Liquid War tenth birthday
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 21:29:25 +0200

Hi,

First, sorry for postponing this post, for some reason it's been
retained by the mailing-list daemon (probably because you were posting
from an address which is not the one you subscribed with) and I do not
check the queued messages very regularly. Oops. At least here's the long
waited answer.

Dave Vasilevsky a écrit :
> The ideas sound good to me! Especially from a cross-platform
> perspective, using SDL and OpenGL should be great. I don't know much
> about CSound, but maybe it's good...I've heard good things about
> OpenAL, you might want to look into that.
Mmm, OpenAL is pretty much about how to mix and output sounds from a
rather low yet "spatial" point of view. I mean know where the sound
comes from, how to mix it, and so on. You could "add" OpenAL
functionnalities to CSound to some extent. CSound is about how to create
sound enveloppes and torture and mix them to ultimately produce music.
Wow. Challenging 8-)

> The current "find network game" feature works via a central server  now,
> right? It might be nice to use Zeroconf to discover games on the  local
> network quickly and automatically. Howl is the best open-source  library
> for this right now: http://www.porchdogsoft.com/products/howl/
Yep, that's interesting. Of course discovering local games automatically
is good, especially when every client can act as a server.

> I'm definitely willing to help get things working on OS X from the
> start. I may end up helping with more, but don't count on that, since
> I'm probably going to be pretty busy with Fink.
Thanks 8-)

For now there's really nothing in the code but... ...in a few weeks I'll
probably have stuff to compile, which will need to be checked for
endianness. I'm thinking about UNICODE and byte order in multibyte
(UTF8) strings. And also of byte order in OpenGL textures.

BTW I updated stuff in the current LW5 snapshot (available on
http://ufoot.hd.free.fr/snapshot/pub/ in the liquidwar-[date].tar.gz
tarball). I didn't exactly apply your patches, decided to modify them a
bit (the biggest issue was that Allegro doesn't define ALLEGRO_UNIX on
OSX, which is dull IMHO) for various reasons, hope that it works out of
the box now. If you have time to just run a ./configure && make and see
what happens...

> Thanks for the update Christian, puis bonne chance!
It's fun for now, starting to have a piece of solution to get rid of old
1998 legacy code feels great.

Have a nice day,

Christian.

PS: I'm always dreaming of buying this 12" cute ibook, but well, there's
always something preventing me from doing it - something rare called
"money" 8-)

--
Christian Mauduit <address@hidden>     __/\__ ___