lmi

Re: [lmi] Grid-bases census view editor UI questions

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Grid-bases census view editor UI questions
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2019 00:36:41 +0200

On Thu, 27 Jun 2019 21:29:49 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> On 2019-06-24 21:29, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GC> >
GC> >  Trying to implement a wxGrid-based UI for the census view editor, I've
GC> > realized that I'm not really sure how is it supposed to work, from the
user
GC> > point of view. The main question I have is about selection: in the current
GC> > UI, the selection unit is a row, and at least one (but possibly more) row
GC> > is always selected.
GC> I just noticed that it's not actually true that "at least one...row is
GC> always selected", at least not with 'wine'. Demonstration:
GC>
GC>   File | New | Census
GC>   left-click one centimeter below the selected row
GC>
GC> I say "one centimeter below", but you can click anywhere in the census
GC> child window's client area except the selected row, and the result
GC> should be the same.
GC>
GC> I don't think anyone has ever complained about this. That implies that
GC> wxGrid's default behavior shouldn't cause any complaint...unless this
GC> is a 'wine' anomaly, which would be really weird.

 No, this is not a Wine anomaly, I can confirm that it behaves in the same
way under native MSW too, sorry for forgetting that it was possible to
remove the selection by doing this.

 Do note that when there is no selection both "Edit cell" and "Delete
cell(s)" items of the "Census" menu are disabled. With the grid, this won't
be the case because we'll use the current cell, which is always present. I
don't think this is going to be a problem, but just wanted to mention this
for completeness.

 Regards,
VZ