Re: [Lynx-dev] changing lynx default homepage from the comand line?

From: Tim Chase
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] changing lynx default homepage from the comand line?
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2019 19:43:02 -0600

Karen,

You can set up a shell alias with something like

  alias ly='lynx https://google.com'

which lets you just type "ly" at the command-prompt and it will go to
whatever default URL you set.  This is a local alias and doesn't
require editing any system configuration files.  If you want it to
persist past one shell session, you can put that line in your local
account's shell configuration file.  That's likely your ~/.bashrc or
~/.bash_aliases if your shell is bash, but might be your ~/.profile
or ~/.kshrc or ~/.zshrc or something else depending on your shell.

You should be able to check which shell you're running by using

  $ basename $SHELL

If it happens to be either "csh" or "tcsh", you have to use a space
where the equal-sign is:

  alias ly 'lynx https://google.com'

If you want to get really fancy, you might create a shell function
like

  ly() { lynx "${1:-https://google.com}"; ; }

which lets you specify a URL if you want one

  $ ly https://shellworld.net

but if you don't specify one, will go to Google (or whatever you
specify) by default.

-tim