Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] releases

From: Taylor R Campbell
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] releases
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 15:10:04 +0000

   Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 07:55:51 -0700
   From: Matt Birkholz <address@hidden>

   > If so, let's please revert them after 9.2, not before, so that we can
   > build 9.2 from 9.1.1.

   The patches train a 9.1 host to compile 9.2, but the resulting 9.2ish
   system doesn't need them.  They can be removed before 9.2ish compiles
   the release thus removing all remnants of (ucode-type sequence-2) and
   the training required to grok the new (ucode-type sequence).

What's the harm in keeping the patches in?  I would like to observe a
policy that release X must be able to build release X+1.  If for some
reason we badly want to do something that breaks release X's ability
to build the current development version, we can always just first
make release X+1 and then break it.