Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] IMAIL

From: Taylor R Campbell
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] IMAIL
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 13:45:59 +0000

   Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 14:20:29 +0100
   From: Peter BARABAS <address@hidden>

   Now you mentioned Edwin, I checked it out and saw that it also has an NNTP
   client + RMAIL. What is the relation between these parts? Is IMAIL  a newer
   version of RMAIL or do they serve different purposes? Sorry for my
   ignorance, I'm new to MIT-SCHEME.

RMAIL is a transcription of GNU Emacs RMAIL, as it was in the early-
to mid-nineties, from elisp into Scheme, and supports only local mail
storage.  IMAIL is totally rewritten and supports IMAP.

The NNTP client, SNR, is not related to either as far as I know.  In
principle, one could adapt the NNTP back end to be an IMAIL back end
and use the same IMAIL front end for mail and news.  But nobody's done
that.