Re: [Mldonkey-users] Random Stuff

From: Wayne Scott
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Random Stuff
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 06:27:28 -0500 (EST)

From: address@hidden
> to what did you set it?
> something like 70?
> set it to 7!
>
> for me its working perfect, i upload with a constant rate of
> 7kbyte / s

How are you measuring? Don't use numbers mldonkey supplies.
How many files do you download at a time?

This is purely a theory but...

I think it does work and it does limit the upload rate.  But mldonkey
generates lots of additional traffic looking for additional shares for
the files your are downloading.  It is constantly sending lists of
servers to mldonkey users and receving lists.  That that traffic is
not trottled.

So I think if I have just a couple files in the download queue then
the download/upload limits work pretty good.

But when I have 50-100 files to download (small mp3s, not CDs and
movies) then the limits still work but the extra packets from mldonkey
just swamp the actual file transfer traffic and the limits don't
appear to work.

I am going to setup traffic shaping under Linux to trottle the traffic
external to mldonkey and let be prioritize which traffic should leave
my router first.  (My IP phone needs to keep working...)

Does anyone buy this?

-Wayne