Re: [Mldonkey-users] servers refusing mldonkey clients?

From: Brett Dikeman
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] servers refusing mldonkey clients?
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 11:46:49 -0500

At 11:15 AM +0100 12/10/02, MLdonkey wrote:
 >  Anyone?

I don't know if a lot of people know that, but a lot of servers are
using very strict rules about the behavior of clients that can connect
to them. In particular, such behavior are kicked:

- Low ID (you are behind a firewall)
- More than 20 downloads (reason why new mldonkey only sends 20
 requests, and then 1/minute)
- More than 1000 files shared

None of these apply to me, but thanks for mentioning them.

I've noticed / heard of other restrictions, and I spent some time poking around the lugdnum(sp?) site. A lot of the stuff they're working on looks pretty nice, and it seems that in at least a few cases their 'encouragement'(to say the least; more like strong-arming) for client programmers to make network-friendly changes has had some good effects.

At the same time, it seems like they're overengineering a lot of stuff while ignoring the basics, like asking people to run servers off static IPs ONLY(I've seen servers appear in up to 10 different IPs over the course of a day or two. Lot of them have german names and are in a german-ISP's netblock), and cleaning up server lists before handing them to clients(I love the 1.1.x.x and non-routeable IP ranges, those are cute.)

I also have never seen the logic in massive servers. We have many servers these days. Some have only a dozen or so users. Yet the lugdnum people spend time and effort on all sorts of Rube Goldberg tricks to make it easier to host more users on a single server. They're impressive, and would let you run a smallish server with even less resources...but it seems like that's not the effect- the effect is more that 2-3 main servers keep getting bigger and bigger.

If something like half the entire edonkey network is on one server, what happens when that server kicks the bucket, or gets unplugged(as happened to AnimeReactor and few other servers a couple months back...Unplugged by law enforcement.)

Further, not to imply this is happening, but such concentration means an abuse of opportunity would have a serious affect on the network. Maybe a server admin decides to limit the sources handed out to other clients, but gosh gee, he and his friends with a special tag in their username get all the sources. Or maybe that one server's network traffic starts getting sniffed by law enforcement.

Or, maybe the server software author decides he's going to invent all sorts of silly systems and force it upon everyone - because, after all, if you write client software, who wants a client that can't see half or 3/4 of the systems on the network?

Well, I'll go grab the CVS version, look through the changelog, and see if I want to try it...

Brett
--
----
http://www.users.cloud9.net/~brett/