[Mldonkey-users] Server black list

From: Stephane Goulet
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Server black list
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 20:10:05 -0500

> I disagree.  There are a few cases where NOT filtering non-routeable
> addresses would be highly desirable.
>
> For example, lets say you're a company that wants to distribute a
> training video across a corporate network with many branches, where
> the distributed nature of the edonkey protocol would have strong
> advantages.  That private network is almost guaranteed to be in a
> non-routeable IP range.

Yes, that's right, that why i think it should be an option ;)
Some company really uses donkey clients? Sure the distributed nature and
mftp protocol is a good idea, but i thought such compagnies would use a more
integrated solution using this mftp protocol. Well, if it's used in a
professional way, it's good news, this may mean more external help with
developpement someday.

> My opinion is that the best option would be to supply the default
> downloads.ini with a blacklist populated with all the standard
> non-routeable IP ranges specified in CIDR format.  That way, the user
> can remove their private net(s) if they need to.
>
> Considering that in CIDR format you only need a few entries to
> specify all the non-routeable ranges...

Indeed with this format it would be quick to solve those problems like in
most good firewalls

-Stéphane