Re: [Mldonkey-users] [Patch] Make HTTP-Realm configurable

From: Sergio Bayarri Gausi
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] [Patch] Make HTTP-Realm configurable
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 15:20:54 +0100 (MET)

Hello,

> * Make the HTTP-Realm (shown when connecting to the web-interface)
>   configurable in downloads.ini. Maybe im the only one so paranoid, but
>   having my machine running 24/7 i dont want anybody scanning my
>   interface-port to know im running mldonkey.

For security's sake, firewall your machine (iptables?) or adjust the
"allowed_ips" option in downloads.ini. It's quite easy to figure you're
running mldonkey otherwise: If port 4000 is open to everybody (as your
setup suggests) it will show a big:

"Welcome on mldonkey command-line"

When someone connects to it.

And even if you firewall your box, a simple scan is enough to know if
you're running mldonkey:

if (port 4080 open or firewalled) AND (port 4000 open or firewalled) AND
(port 4001 open or firewalled) then you're definitely running mldonkey.

I think that it's worse to have port 4000 open to everyone than to simply
show we're running mldonkey in the HTTP-Realm.

Greetings,

Sergio