Re: [Mldonkey-users] Improvements on emules

From: Neil Sedger
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Improvements on emules
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 03:30:01 +0000

Pierre Etchemaite wrote:
Le Fri, 17 Jan 2003 19:49:10 +0100, Martin Kuhlmann <address@hidden>
a écrit :

 Wouldn't it be positive for our score to upload something to them?
 Let's give these emules we want to get data from some credits. We
 would be faster climbing up the queue.

Even eMules don't do that (AFAIK), because it's exploitable.
You want some file or set of files ? Create a client that allows to fake the
availability of those files, but that never uploads (or, maybe, only the
chunks it really has).

...ok so don't actually count the credit until some real uploading has been
done.
If you want to be really paranoid you could hold off giving credit until the chunk is verified OK (with info from other clients) - therefore you know they didn't send you fake data to abuse the system. Although a client which uploaded fake data on purpose would have to be a really *evil* hack of a client.

Neil