Re: [Mldonkey-users] Memory consumption / allowed_ips / long queue

From: Martin
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Memory consumption / allowed_ips / long queue
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 13:16:55 +0100

This morning I discovered that mldonkey used 400 MB memory!
It's the 2.02-6 cvs version and it had been running for 2 days + 8
hours. I connected to the core using telnet and it took ages to answer
a "vd" so I deceided to kill and restart it. Now its running for 2
hours and already uses 260 MB!

I will update to 2.02-7 as soon as my downloads are finished since I
don't want to loose them again.
I used to run the stable 2.02-0 and started it like explained in the
Readme.txt (./mldonkey > mldonkey.log &). When I wanted to shutdown
the core I used the "kill" command in the telnet interface but I only
got an "Exception Sys_error("Input/output error")". So I killed the
thread manualy which resulted in the loss of serveral hundred MB of
downloaded data :(
Thanks to the forums at MLdonkey World I found out that you have to
redirect stderr too (./mldonkey > mldonkey.log 2> mldonkey.err &).
Might be a good idea to update the Readme.txt.

I would like to control the core (which is running on my remote
server) using a GUI. Since I have a dynamic IP at home it would be
very usefull if I could add a dyndns hostname to allowed_ips. When
somebody is trying to connect to the GUI or telnet interface MLDonkey
should lookup the current IP of the dyndns hostname and allow access
if the ip matches.

And could somebody explain to me why the hell a looong queue in emule
is a bad thing(tm)? I know that it can take ages to get a download
slot when you start at rank 1303 but if you wait long enough (and the
other client doesn't get shut down) you will start downloading at some
point! If people have shorter queues all you'll ever get is a "Queue
full" message!

Cheers,

Martin