Re: [Mldonkey-users] Re: Perfect amount for used sockets found

From: Fabian Henrici
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Re: Perfect amount for used sockets found
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 18:20:24 +0100

address@hidden wrote:
Hello Fabian,

Thursday, January 30, 2003, 9:58:11 AM, Fabian wrote:

FH> Sven Hartge wrote:

At 250 I achieved about 5   kB/s.
At 150            about 6.5 kB/s.
At 100            about 7.0 kB/s.
At  50            about 6.6 kB/s.

At least I can reproduce those figures at will. So it is rather unlikely
those figures are random or induced by external influences.

YMMV for bigger lines though.

S°

FH> Hi,

FH> I tried different values for a 768/128kbit DSL line and found 275 to FH> work perfect. But I think values between 250 and 300 should be tested.

FH> Hope that helps someone, Fabian

Is there no way to do this automatically? I don't know if this could
be integrated into mldonkey but maybe mldonkey could analyze upload
and download rate and adjust the number of sockets automatically?
This would save a lot of time for testing and especially new users
would profit (as well as the network since optimized values would
provide more bandwidth for all users).

I'm sure this would be a good thing but I'm not sure it is possible. It would be a lot easier to add the different optimum choices for different network connections to the FAQ. At least that should be done.