[Mldonkey-users] Performance problems (NetBSD)

From: Matthias Redlich
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Performance problems (NetBSD)
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 18:37:07 +0200

Hi list,

I encountered strange problems concerning the download rates when
running mldonkey on a NetBSD machine. I tested this issue with the last
stable release of mldonkey as well as with the current dev-version.
(fetched from cvs)

(I'm using DSL with 768 kbits/s down- and 256 kbits/s upstream.)

On NetBSD my download rates are *extremly* slow. I tried with the
default settings of mldonkey as well as optimized settings for my
internet connection - without any success. My download rate was about 2
kb/s at the fastest! mldonkey only downloaded about 10 MB in more than
10 hours.

Then I installed a linux machine in the same network and the same
internet connection. I tried to download the same files as on NetBSD.
And - surprise, surprise - the download rates reached about 20 kb/s.
(which is very good)

Does anybody know this problem or have an idea how to solve it? Has it
something to do with NetBSD? Any hints are welcome!

It is the same internet connection for both machines. (linux and netbsd)
The only notable difference between these two machines - at least in my
opinion - is the operating system.

Additional information:
Linux - 1 GHZ; 256 MB Ram
NetBSD - 166 MHZ, 32 MB Ram (should be enough; 'top' doesn't show any
problematic processes)

Thank you for your help!

Cheers,
--