Re: [Mldonkey-users] Performance problems (NetBSD)

From: Karsten Kruse
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Performance problems (NetBSD)
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 12:34:18 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, Matthias Redlich wrote:
> On NetBSD my download rates are *extremly* slow. I tried with the
> default settings of mldonkey as well as optimized settings for my
> internet connection - without any success. My download rate was about 2
> kb/s at the fastest! mldonkey only downloaded about 10 MB in more than
> 10 hours.

There are three things you can check:

1) max opened files: type "ulimit -a" (in bash/ksh, use man csh and search
for limit if you don't use a bourne-shell) and check "max open files", per
default this is 64 in NetBSD, set it to 1024. I put it into /etc/profile:

 ulimit -n 1024

2) If you use ipnat: Make sure your NAT_TABLE_SZ is not full: type "ipnat
-s | grep inuse" and make sure it is less than NAT_TABLE_SZ from
/usr/src/sys/netinet/ip_nat.h. I use 1016 there. You have to recompile ipf
and the kernel if you change anything there.

3) If you use ipf: Make sure you have enough states free for new
connections, type "ipfstat -s | grep active". The number should be smaller
than IPSTATE_MAX in /usr/src/sys/netinet/ip_state.h The default is to
small, i changed it to higher values:

 IPSTATE_SIZE    59999
 IPSTATE_MAX     41999

Note that the numbers have to be prime and and IPSTATE_MAX should be 70
percent fom IPSTATE_SIZE. Read man primes if you don't have all the primes
in your head :). If you change anything there recompile ipf and the
kernel. You can also tune your ipf.conf to use less "keep state".

> NetBSD - 166 MHZ, 32 MB Ram (should be enough; 'top' doesn't show any
> problematic processes)

Get more ram. You will swap a lot since mldonkey needs some ram (15mb
here). Also you should make sure that your upload is not 100 percent used.
I use altq for that.

Good luck

Karsten

--