Re: OCTAL and LADSPA

From: Knos
Subject: Re: OCTAL and LADSPA
Date: Tue Jan 30 11:00:02 2001

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001 16:39:37 +0100
Fredrik Roos <address@hidden> wrote:

> > You can solve a lot of the above by creating a new XP-meta-toolkit, but
> > doing that is likely to be a larger project than Octal itself. I am not
> > interested in reinventing GTK+/libglade. Not only that, but suddenly the
> > interfaces no longer look or act like anything native to the OS (see
> > Mozilla for an example of making your own toolkit).
>
> Well i have never seen a soft synth UI based on native widgets that actually
> works and personally, i don't care about consistency. Maybe this can be
> solved by application specific gtk-themes?
>
>     --fredrik

Yes look at pbd's applications, he uses his own gtk subclasses for gui elements
(using pixmaps for knobs and sliders) It will be more than sufficient. Besides,
we can improve the gui separately if it's not tied to a machine. And the GUIs
here are an help, not the ultimate composition tool anyway. -n