Re: Latest from hg on OSX

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Re: Latest from hg on OSX
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 00:01:07 +0200

Carlo de Falco schrieb:

On 17/giu/08, at 20:39, Thomas Treichl wrote:

Shai Ayal schrieb:
On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 9:18 PM, Carlo de Falco <address@hidden> wrote:
2) I had to change
#include GL/gl.h    to     #include OpenGL/gl.h
and
#include GL/glu.h   to     #include OpenGL/glu.h
in gl-renderer.h
Michael,
I think the fltk team have figured out a cross platform way of
including the OpenGL headers:
http://svn.easysw.com/public/fltk/fltk/tags/release-1.1.8/FL/gl.h
http://svn.easysw.com/public/fltk/fltk/tags/release-1.1.8/FL/glu.h
maybe we should adopt it?

I wonder where this OpenGL directory comes from or where it should be placed? I searched my Mac for that OpenGL directory but couldn't find it. I have used Apple's original GL framework, the headers are in /usr/X11R6/include/GL and the libs can be accessed by '-framework OpenGL'. There are no changes necessary from my point of view. Somebody please posts the output from

 bash~$ sudo find / -iname OpenGL

and

 bash~$ sudo find / -iname gl.h

Thanks,
 Thomas

Thomas

as far as I understand
-framework OpenGL and -FOpenGL
on darwin are shortcuts for
-L/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Libraries
and
-I/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Headers
and from the apple gcc manpage

"An example include looks like "#include <Framework/header.h>", where
 Framework denotes the name of the framework and header.h is found in
 the "PrivateHeaders" or "Headers" directory."

so I beleive that
#include <OpenGL/gl.h>
includes
-I/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Headers/gl.h

and indeed FL/gl.h from fltk uses the same include clause:

#  ifdef __APPLE__
#    include <OpenGL/gl.h>
#  else
#    include <GL/gl.h>
#  endif

Ok for me, but then I vote for a configure-test which automatically sets up "all" necessary Mac-specific compiler and linker options and ignores all the other UNIX options. My thought always has been to keep as much UNIX as possible for Mac too and to not make the codes depend on too many platform specials, eg. like the Mac-only -FOpenGL option and an #include <Framework/whatever.h> or similar.

  Thomas