Re: [OctDev] complex error function

From: Steven G. Johnson
Subject: Re: [OctDev] complex error function
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 11:01:37 -0500

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
On 21 November 2012 17:47, Steven G. Johnson <address@hidden> wrote:
3) Other than Octave and possibly SciPy, it is not clear who would use it in
library form.

Oh, btw, off the top of my head: R, Scilab, Julia, GNU libc, GNU
Scientific Library, The Madlab (I'm sure you've already contacted
them?), and perhaps CASes like Sage, Maxima, Axiom, Yacas and if you
can stomach the attitude of the non-free ones, Mathematica and Maple,
assuming your algorithm is the best there is.

I'm not saying that no one will want to *use* my code. I'm suggesting that most users will probably prefer to grab their own copies rather than introduce a dependency on an external library.

GSL seems to prefer its own implementations of special functions (and other algorithms, for that matter); it rarely links external libraries, even when the implementations in external libraries are far superior to GSL's.

The Julia source, when I checked it a week or two ago, distributes its own copies of nearly all external code, presumably so as to limit dependencies.

glibc, if they were to accept a cerf contribution, would presumably want it as part of glibc (like all of their other special functions) and not as an external library.

Non-free software almost always packages their own copies of dependencies rather than relying on the user to install dependencies separately.

Again, it is perfectly easy for me to make an autoconf tarball that installs a shared library. But I am reluctant to do so unless I get more indication that users (other than Octave) would want to use it in library form as opposed to C&P.

Do you still want to go the C&P route for Octave?

I still think this is the most reasonable route for users.