Re: Octave should create a forum

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: Octave should create a forum
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2020 13:17:31 +0900

Edmund, please answer at the bottom of emails [1] to meet the convention
of Octave's mailing-lists.

On Monday, January 6, 2020, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:>
>         > Personally, I also would love to find more "state of the art"
>         > communication tools for collaboration with Octave maintainers
>         and users.
>         >  I do not mind maintaining another web presence as well, if we
>         agree on
>         > some forum software.
>
>         can't vote, only for devs?
>
>     polls require wiki login i believe.

Sorry, Nicholas is right.  The wiki page [2] is not meant to be final
yet.  It shall collect forum ideas and their technical requirements,
that any logged in user can edit, including an example poll.  If it
comes to some final vote, I can change settings [3] that anyone can
participate in and it should receive more attention than this thread.

This topic counts already 32 emails, spread over two mailing-lists.  I
think getting an overview is nice.

On 1/6/20 12:01 PM, edmund ronald wrote:

> As Mike points out, this is not a tech issue, I would say it’s basically
> a marketing issue.  Im a restaurant, we’d be cooks but this is about
> hospitality, making people feel good not just feeding them. Do we know
> anyone who knows marketing?
>
> Edmund

Yes, not only, but a technical issue, as well.  Sticking to the example,
no marketing can advertise a meal in a restaurant, that the customers
demand, but the cooks cannot produce with their limited kitchen equipment.

If Octave's community decides on having a forum that simply cannot be
hosted with the current infrastructure or budget, it will stay a dream.

Of course you are right, of what is technically possible, Octave should
consider the most user friendly solution.  Thus please make suggestions
at [2] or here, and I can help to assess if this would work with
Octave's current infrastructure ("zero" budget solution).  You can also
make suggestions about new hosting solutions, as well.

Best,
Kai

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Bottom-posting
[2] https://wiki.octave.org/Forum_for_GNU_Octave