Re: Octave 5.2.0 release

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: Octave 5.2.0 release
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2020 14:48:27 +0900

On 2/4/20 2:33 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
> For the record, I used the attached build script.  I'm fortunate to have
> three systems to run it on so I could build the w32, w64, and w64-64
> versions in parallel.  It still took several hours from scratch.  The
> script assumes that the directories
>
>   /release/mxe-octave-w32
>   /release/mxe-octave-w64
>   /release/mxe-octave-w64-64
>
> exist and contain clones of the mxe-octave sources that already have teh
> release changeset tagged with release-octave-$VERSION and that the mxe
> package source files will be in /scratch/build/mxe-pkg-src.  That
> directory could be anything, you'd just have to modify the script to
> match what you use, or to not use a separate directory and have the
> build process download the files for you in each of the above directories.
>
> Then you can run the script with
>
>   ./build.sh 5.2.0 w32
>   ./build.sh 5.2.0 w64
>   ./build.sh 5.2.0 w64-64
>
> to generate all the variations.  I'm sure we can improve this script,
> but it's a pretty good start at recording the options used.
>
> Note also that the script starts from a clean tree each time, so it
> helps to use ccache if you need to start over for some reason.  Starting
> from a clean build tree is important in case versions have changed.
> Otherwise, you could end up with multiple versions of some package
> appearing in the installer.  It's not fatal, but it looks sloppy and
> bloats the distributed files.
>
> jwe

Thank you for sharing the script.  It is funny to see, that I came up
with a similar syntax for my "continuous delivery (CD)" approach:

   https://github.com/siko1056/OctaveCD/blob/master/deliver.sh
   https://github.com/siko1056/OctaveCD/blob/master/src/build_mxe.sh

My project got a bit dirty recently to adapt to the needs of what I
didn't know about MXE builds.  It needs some makeover after the release.

I think there is a real need for such a script.  It documents how things
can be done, in which order, with what configuration.

Does anyone else have such a script approach?

A good script for the sake of documenting the MXE builds must not be as
complicated as mine, but maybe your script should be hosted in the root
level of the MXE repo?

Kai