pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Feature requests

From: Chris Petersen
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Feature requests
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 14:04:15 -0800 (PST)

> The first feature request concerns the directory for saving attachments. By
> default they go to News/Pan, or to the directory you supply yourself. I'd
> really like to see a checkbox to set the default to News/<groupname>. I'm
> pretty sure I've come across a similar feature in another newsreader and I
> think it makes a lot of sense. I don't want to manually supply every group
> with its own save directory.

this sounds like a decent idea to me...  I wouldn't use it (I file my
things in folders like News/Music or News/Movies rather than by which
group they come from) but it would be nice as a default so I don't
accidentally download 1000 images and 300 mp3s all into the same directory
(especially when people forget to put suffixes on the files, or artist
info on the mp3s so I can't tell the music from the radio dramas)

> The second feature request is less important, just something to make things a
> bit easier: when downloaded attachments of a set of messages I want to
> continue with other groups while the download takes place in the background.
> You can tell Pan to reserve a connection for reading messages, but you cannot
> use that same reserved connection for downloading the latest headers. Instead
> you have to wait until one of the background downloads has finished. A
> checkbox 'Also use reserved connection to download new headers' is just what
> I'd like to see.

I suggested this feature several months ago..  the "reserved" slot should
be used for things related to reading articles..  this currently includes
ONLY reading articles (double- or middle-clicking them on my system), but
really should be expanded to include grabbing new headers as well as
viewing attachments with the "o" command.

It might also be nice to pause one of the current downloads to open up the
reserve slot when it's checked...   since much of the time I just go into
the tasks list and pause/unpause the queue when I reapply the "reserve"...

-Chris