pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Upgrading to Pan v0.12.0 on Red Hat Linux 7.1 issues

From: Jeff Vian
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Upgrading to Pan v0.12.0 on Red Hat Linux 7.1 issues
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 10:10:06 -0500

Everyone has an opinion. Some are good and some are bad, but most stink when forced on others.

As the author at the site you referenced noted, MOST rpm users have flawless usage results. A few don't. Most of the failures, if the entire truth were known, likely fail to use the informative messages and update everything at once, or they use --nodeps and break something then have to go back and fix things or start over from scratch.

This thread is an example of bad choices that caused problems, but with a little bit of information from others the problem was solved. The dependencies caused the problems, but eliminated many others that would have been seen by incompatible software packages.

The one thing I see that most often contributes to an inability to install/use the upgrades is that the user does not understand or use the info he sees in the messages related to the failure, or they force the error to be ignored and then wonder why the install does not work.

The reason for the dependencies, as has been seen often in the development of Pan, is that new development takes advantage of improvements in other packages as well. Thus everything is in flux and constantly changing. Dependencies ensure that the packages used in development are also used when the package is in use. Thus the package, once installed, works as the developer intended.

Windows handles this with a message (sometimes) usually in the printed documentation on the box the package came in, that certain things are required.

If you are unable to understand the changes and be flexible enough to follow them, I suggest that you may get a release that works for you and stick with it and never update. This will eliminate the need for you to think, plan, and be inovative in doing the updates. I suggest that you think for yourself and not take the words of others as gospel and spread their mis-information as fact.

If you are not willing to be flexible maybe you should stick with Windows where backward compatibility constantly contributes to code bloat and inhibits new development.

If, on the other hand, you educate yourself (as most who use these newsgroups do) you can find out what the problem is and fix it. Thus having the ability to enjoy the leading edge of software packages and educating yourself at the same time.

mdew wrote:
On Sun, 2002-06-23 at 04:17, Toby Inkster wrote:

On 23 Jun 2002 01:51:00 +1200
mdew <address@hidden> wrote:

| only on Ximian supported platforms... i laugh at people who have alot
| dependancy problems installing any package including pan/pan-cvs, its
| non-exisistant on debian :) no more --force --nodeps.

RPM, as a packaging format has no significant advantages or disadvantages over
DEB (except that RPMs are in general more widely available and that RPM has
been adopted as the standard packaging format for the LSB).

As far as the packiaging software is concerned, of course "apt-get" is more advanced than "rpm"... but you
shouldn't try to compare them. Instead compare "dpkg" with "rpm" and you'll see that "rpm" compares
favourably.

Compare "apt-get" with "apt-rpm" or Mandrake's "urpmi" and you'll see that RPM
is not as behind as a lot of people claim.

you need to re-look at,
http://www.distrowatch.com/article-rpm.php