pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] All the sudden, my Pan v0.12 broke on both of my Red Hat

From: Phillip Pi
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] All the sudden, my Pan v0.12 broke on both of my Red Hat Linux 7.x boxes!
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 21:34:01 -0700 (PDT)

> On Tuesday 25 June 2002 00:13, Phillip Pi wrote:
>
> > So, does anyone know what's up with this? I guess Christophe is
> > currently busy to answer my post. :(
>
>       You upgraded your packages... did you recompile Pan against the new
> library versions?  AFAIK, "undefined symbol" means it was compiled
> against something, which it is therefore trying to use, but the
> installed version of that library does not contain the functionality
> it's trying to access.
>       I'd say, "make uninstall", "make clean", then ./configure and rebuild.
> (Or, possibly, "rpm --rebuild ...", "rpm -Uv ..." depending on how you
> build stuff.  :)
>
>       If you did *not* compile this (i.e., installed from binary packages)
> then I'd advise looking for an updated Pan package that was built
> against the libraries you have installed.
>
>       I've also heard of problems with binary packages, caused by the person
> who builds ProgramX.rpm not using the same compiler version as the
> person who build LibraryY.rpm.  Many distributions (such as Mandrake)
> are using GCC version 3.something for their new-release stuff, but many
> folks (such as myself) have not upgraded from version 2.96.  I have no
> idea whether your trouble falls into that category, though.  :/

I used RPMs to upgrade. Here is what I don't understand, both systems' Pan
were working after the upgrades. The last time I used it was yesterday
morning. I went out for a few hours. I wanted to use Pan again, and they
no longer worked. What could possibly be changed? One machine was off when
I was out while the other one was on. I don't get it. Is there something
updating in the background to break something?