pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] All the sudden, my Pan v0.12 broke on both of my Red Hat

From: Adam Huffman
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] All the sudden, my Pan v0.12 broke on both of my Red Hat Linux 7.x boxes!
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 08:16:24 +0100

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Phillip Pi wrote:

> >     You upgraded your packages... did you recompile Pan against the new
> > library versions?  AFAIK, "undefined symbol" means it was compiled
> > against something, which it is therefore trying to use, but the
> > installed version of that library does not contain the functionality
> > it's trying to access.
> >     I'd say, "make uninstall", "make clean", then ./configure and rebuild.
> > (Or, possibly, "rpm --rebuild ...", "rpm -Uv ..." depending on how you
> > build stuff.  :)
> >
> >     If you did *not* compile this (i.e., installed from binary packages)
> > then I'd advise looking for an updated Pan package that was built
> > against the libraries you have installed.
> >
> >     I've also heard of problems with binary packages, caused by the person
> > who builds ProgramX.rpm not using the same compiler version as the
> > person who build LibraryY.rpm.  Many distributions (such as Mandrake)
> > are using GCC version 3.something for their new-release stuff, but many
> > folks (such as myself) have not upgraded from version 2.96.  I have no
> > idea whether your trouble falls into that category, though.  :/
>
> I used RPMs to upgrade. Here is what I don't understand, both systems' Pan
> were working after the upgrades. The last time I used it was yesterday
> morning. I went out for a few hours. I wanted to use Pan again, and they
> no longer worked. What could possibly be changed? One machine was off when
> I was out while the other one was on. I don't get it. Is there something
> updating in the background to break something?

If Pan was running when you upgraded the freetype packages, then the
contents of the old freetype package will have been in use.  So they
will only have been replaced when Pan was closed and any other program
using them was closed too.

The next time you started Pan the new freetype binaries will have been
in place, so Pan had a problem.

I concur with the above suggestions - either install a different binary
or get the Pan SRPM and recompile it yourself.

Adam