pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Feedback wanted: Pan 0.12.90 toolbar

From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Feedback wanted: Pan 0.12.90 toolbar
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 11:27:40 -0500

> If the icons are really clear, the labels should be completely unnecessary
> (or atleast optional).

the problem with 'idiot buttons' is that icons on them are almost never
clear in their meaning. you have to look at the tooltip to figure out
exactly what it *does*.

someone pointed out in a treatise on User Interface design, that icons are
useful for things like file listings, where the icon shows what type of file
it is, and gives you visual cues to find/understand files faster.

when an icon launches an operation tho; it's just a label, rather than an
identifying clue. you have to learn another 'name' for that operation --
associate the image to the knowlege of what the icon does; rather than/in
addition to associating a text string with that knowlege.

so for launching operations, I don't see any real benefit to having icons.
especially since it's difficult to make an image that conveys the meaning of
an abstract concept like 'download message bodies'.

in short, you really *need* text labels along with the icons. Let people
turn them off if they like; but they're really a worthwhile thing to have,
if you insist on having icons.

(I'd even go so far as to say you shouldn't waste your time on the whole
toolbar thing, but since I haven't put any money in the tip jar, nor am I a
coder on the project, nor your boss... go spend  your time as you see fit.
that's what free software is all about. :) )

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Network Engineer
Real-Time Enterprises