pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Feedback wanted: Pan 0.12.90 toolbar

From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Feedback wanted: Pan 0.12.90 toolbar
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 09:55:41 -0500

> I agree with you to some degree, having tool bars does allow common things
> to be accessed quickly.
        and hotkeys are even faster. :) which leads to a suggestion:
        if there is a hotkey bound to an action, have the tooltip list the
hotkey as well as the description.

> Icons take alot mess space than Text
        hmmm.... depends how big the icons are. under Netscape or Galeon,
it's much more compact to have just the the text on the buttons, rather than
just the icons.

> you have to
> learn the meaning but even the most abstract ideas can be represented.

        maybe we're just looking at things differently. I see icons and
menus as 'training wheels'... something that helps you learn what the
program *can* do. This is what GUI interfaces are for -- making it easy to
see all your options.
        eventually tho, you'll want to get rid of them, and use the
hotkeys almost exclusively.

        are you looking at this as something more permanently used? I know
there are some users like that... <snip unconstructive BOFH rant about users>

> Never forget a picture says 1000 words!
        except that these aren't really pictures... they're graphical
labels. :)

> "download message bodies"
>
> That ones pretty easy.
>
> Ok its a pural of article, so lets try and "page symbol" with 2 others
> behind it meaning articles Pural an arrow and the DB 3 circles symbol....
> Of course don't ask me to draw it!
        that's actually a pretty good plan.. I see the logic of it.

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Network Engineer
Real-Time Enterprises