pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Speed of pan

From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Speed of pan
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 16:31:16 -0600

> I put in a Promise ATA100 controller (Highpoint would have worked
> just as well I'm sure) and moved the disk to the new controller. hdparm now
> reports around 40 MB/s. Not exactly the 100 MB/s ATA100 is supposedly capable
> of, but a lot better than 4 MB/s.

it's about as good as any individual spinning disk is capable of these days.

I've heard of someone doing disk I/O benchmarks for the linux kernel, and
getting 200MB/s off an array of 8 Fibre Channel disks (theoretical max of
266MB/s with the 64-bit PCI controller); so 40MB/s/disk is pretty darn good.
:)

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Systems Administrator