pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Speed of pan

From: Ronald KA4INM Youvan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Speed of pan
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 00:23:45 -0400

I noticed that pan seems rather slow, particularly on startup.

  I am just a LINUX user, I have found pan's starting speed is related to
the cache size and the number of groups in the server that you left and
therefore return to.  (the amount of stuff that has to be loaded and sorted)
(try having the cache erased when you leave windows and see of it starts up
any faster as a test)

  Also important is that your mommy board's IDE controller's chip set's
driver is in your operating kernel, so your drives are operating in the
highest DMA mode the drive/s use.
(because you controller chips are younger than your distro. - non Intel only)

  I would guess, the winblows drive NEEDS the most RAM and CPU speed.

  RAM is now fairly cheap, shop around and get more for both machines
or upgrade to a newer mommy board, CPU & memory).

       73 (= Best Regards) de: Ron address@hidden
    100% LINUX, since July, 1997   SENT Time and Date are UTC
       Visit my HAM Web SITE at: http://www.qsl.net/ka4inm