pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Speed of pan

From: John LeMay
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Speed of pan
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 20:48:02 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Brian Morrison wrote:

> Choke, splutter. Look at the difference between hdparm -t and hdparm -T,
> the faster one is buffered data, the slower is data from the platters
> directly. If you can find an ATA disk drive that does 100MB/s, let me
> know....

Agreed. I ran both (-t and -T), but only paid attention to the one I
considered important. Don't recall the other values returned.

Of course, if anyone still wants more speed like referenced in that
last message in this thread about the fibre channel array, take a
Highpoint or Promise IDE RAID controller (Highpoint ATA-100 controller is
under $50) and do RAID-0 across a couple of the same disks we are
discussing here. Of course you need to do RAID-0 across channels on the
controller for max performance.

Now that we are so completely off topic I suppose we should just say that
Pan is pretty darn quick - especially on new hardware!

--
John LeMay
Senior Enterprise Consultant