pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Request: detachable windows and smart wrapping

From: Uli Wachowitz
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Request: detachable windows and smart wrapping
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 23:40:14 +0100

----------
On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 23:16:24 +0200
Lauri Alanko <address@hidden> wrote:
[snip]
> I have been trying Pan every now and then for over a year now, and
> every time I'm immediately turned off by some glaring interface
> problems, which I've always thought must be so obvious that they'll be
> fixed really soon. Apparently not.

Maybe things will change the way you want them to be if _you_ stop
wishing and start to change them.

> The first one: it is silly to constrain the whole application to one
> window, which then can be split to panes in one of a limited number of
> layouts. The group selector, message selector and message view are all

Mh, there is something like "View panes as tabs"
This will give every pane the complete window. You can simply switch
between them by keyboard.

> So there should definitely be a "separate windows" option, where all
> the three components are given their own X windows.

Nice idea. But nothing for me. I can't handle any more windows. My
complete desktop is cluttered with xterms ;-)

> The way it _should_ go, of course, is to autowrap the message
> according to the current width of the message window. This would make

But I like the message wrapped the way it will be posted. A kind of
WYSIWYG if you like.

> And in addition to automagical paragraphization, explicit soft
> newlines as specified by RFC 2646 should probably also be supported.

Have not read this RFC. For me, the now used way of wrapping is
_exactly_ how I like it.

> Am I the only one who would find these features useful?

Who knows. Wait and read.

[/snip]

have fun..

--
Before you start asking questions, you might want to RTFM. Just maybe,
and i do mean maybe, you might see the light (although i doubt it).

"GPG-Key on demand"