pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Request: detachable windows and smart wrapping

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Request: detachable windows and smart wrapping
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 19:05:23 -0700

On Wed 29 Jan 2003 15:25, Mark Derricutt posted as excerpted below:
> Its nice having one window to minimize thou.
>
> On a side note - doesn't GTK/GTK2 have detachable/dockable widgets?  I know
> I've seen menus and toolbars that you can just drag on/off somewhere, so
> maybe it could just be as easy as changing the parent/containing widget to
> something that lets you drag off the widget?
>
> --On Wednesday, January 29, 2003 23:40:14 +0100 Uli Wachowitz
>
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> >> So there should definitely be a "separate windows" option, where all
> >> the three components are given their own X windows.
> >
> > Nice idea. But nothing for me. I can't handle any more windows. My
> > complete desktop is cluttered with xterms ;-)

"Upside down" quoting... grumble, grumble..  There's a REASON the latest PAN
warns about it!

The detachable widgets idea is quite cool, but I'm with it seems most everyone
else on this...  Also, consider how popular the tabbed browsing feature is in
browsers such as Mozilla and Konqueror, and the fact that PAN already does
tabs.  Still, detachable, especially if the application remembered it's state
and window positions when next started, WOULD be cool, for those that prefer
hosts of windows all over.

As for minimizing..  now that I'm thinking about it, perhaps the XMMS method
might be good -- the separate windows can be minimized separately, but if you
minimize the main one, it minimizes all of them.  (Close works the same way.)
The question, then, I guess, is which window would be the "main" one, unless
we let the user decide that by what they drag out of it.

Still..  I'd consider that a "chrome" feature, probably target "bluesky",
unless it happens to be real easy to implement with GTK2 as is.

..

I agree that window width wrapping (on word) would be a good feature, tho.
Currently, PAN does that (on letter, not word, unfortunately, splitting
words) when wrap is off, if the window is narrower than the line width.  I'd
be for making that an explicit option and splitting on word, here, and would
use that feature if it existed.  The best part of it is that most of the code
is already there, used either in wrapping on letter to window width, or in
wrapping on word at an arbitrary width, so there should be little recoding
except for the preference GUI and storage for it, and a bit of reorganizing
of existing code to add the new feature.  As I've not personally looked at
the code, however, I can't say how big a job that reorganization might be..

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin